Hydrographic Surveyor/Marine Geophysical Technician
Marine Mapping and Geophysical Surveying (Underwater Services)
Aquatic Sciences has an immediate opening for an individual experienced in lakebed, riverbed and seafloor
mapping using state-of-the-art remote sensing instrumentation for engineering and environmental
applications. Work will include a mix of field and office assignments in domestic markets with some
Aquatic Sciences specializes in underwater inspections, marine geophysical and hydrographic surveys, contaminated spill site remediation and marine construction. A full fleet of advanced robotic vehicles and the latest in
imaging, surveying and inspection technology backs our commercial divers, construction crews, engineers
and technicians. Supported by our in-house environmental and engineering resources, we provide clients
in the public and private sectors with integrated turnkey services for all project phases: assessment and
planning, design and fabrication, installation and operations.
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- Formal training (technical school, university, special courses) in any or all of electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, geophysics would be an asset
- 5- 10 years of industry experience in marine high resolution data acquisition including hydrographic surveys
- Comprehensive knowledge of sonar equipment including data acquisition and post-processing,
underwater video systems, marine geophysical and hydrographic surveying equipment
- Knowledge and experience with underwater remotely operated vehicles (ROVís) would be an asset
but is not an absolute requirement
- Software experience with Hypack/HySweep, Surfer 8, AutoCAD, GIS and any other relevant software.
- Related work experience
- Experience trailering and operating small survey boats (up to 25 feet in length)
- Possess a valid Driver's License (Class G minimum)
- Possess a valid passport for international travel
- Sound knowledge of single beam & multi beam echosounders, side scan sonar, sub-bottom profilers, scanning sonars, magnetometers, water level gauges, DGPS systems, and interfacing navigation & data collection software
- Work includes project setup; fieldwork; operation of navigation, positioning, sounding data collection and processing equipment, marine geophysical data collection and processing equipment; analysis of
survey results; report preparation; and client liaison
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills
- Self starter and able to work independently
- Work includes domestic and international travel for periods of one day to several weeks.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
Please forward your resume to:
P.O. Box 2205, St. Catharines, ON L2R 7R8